Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Okay, alright; I'll toss my hat into the ring of misery along with everyone else.
Sad to hear of Elliot Smith taking his own life. Spirit called me at work this morning to break the news.

I'll relate my one Elliot Smith moment.

It was the Fall of '96. I was stoked that Elliot was playing at Sam Bonds on an off night. At the time, his hair was long and greasy (big surprise) and he had a baseball cap on. He seemed like he didn't want to be approached, so I left him alone.
Out back, I was smoking with a friend when Elliot came up and asked for a light. I lit his smoke and struck up a short conversation with him:

me: "So...I try to play along with your records...I can't. What the hell do you tune your guitar to? It's unbelievably low."
him: " I don't know. I never know. I just kind of tune it up. Or down. I don't really remember. I was going through a break up at the time and it was my girlfriend's guitar and she never kept it in tune. I'm not sure I could ever tune a guitar that way again if I wanted to."

I wonder if he heard me mutter "sheesh...what's up with him?" as he walked away.

Later, when he was playing, I noticed that he tuned his guitar very accurately to a low "C" for "Clementine". It sounded just like it did on the record.

No comments: