Saturday, November 01, 2003

HAPPY DAY OF THE DEAD...although I usually celebrate it on November 3d. I'll explain in a future post.
This year, Halloween...was just too frantic. I swear, I must be getting old. I did the job thing for 1/2 a day, dropped Cosmo at a friend's house, got my costume together, played the Metal Detector gig down at 5th St (thanks, Autumn), which was, as usual, a good way to let mah kid get his drum ya-yas out and also a good time for various friends and relatives to check out our little "family band"... also a hell of a lot of work, although it might not seem like it.
From there, I drop Cos once again at a different friend's while I go down for Vagiant UK soundcheck...it goes well. After various other drop-off, pick-up activit, I'm tired and spaced out and onstage with an 18th century powdered-wig fancy-boy prancing around in front of me + 'Garth' from Wayne's World and a space-age cowboy/gigilo flanking me...oh yeah; I did my best to dress up as Dave Vanian from the Damned-it came out pretty well, but I felt as dead as I looked. NONETHELESS, I think the giant vagina band went over as well as could be expected and I had fun trying to make the bass do what I wanted it to do. It was way fun to be using Dan Shmid's Ampeg SVT - what a monster-truck of an amp!! I don't think I've ever played through a decent bass amp until last night.
Set over. Phew. Very tired. Now, I'm just hangin' with Cos, watching the Daddies. They put on a decent show to a less-than-packed house, Still, a lot of people are there-I guess several hundred. Steve seems a bit more low-key than usual - perhaps from having to sing with two bands in one night? I will say this: Just seeing the colorful cast of characters that is the Daddies, I'm reminded why they are so popular in the first place. Their set list was better than the one they've been doing for the last 2 or so years - many songs from the first three albums that I haven't heard live in a long time + several swing tunes that I suppose they feel obligated to play. I still wish they would play "Kids on the Street", "Millionaire" or "Skyline Drive" I'll keep waiting.
Okay, that was my Halloween. As I post this, I realize that I've been spending way too much time on the computer lately. I'm gonna take a break from this for a few days and just be human again (as opposed to cyborg).
Later

P.S. - Pleeze politely ignore my shitty grammar/spelling - I lack the motivation to go back and edit today.

No comments: