Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Installing updates 11/15 /22

today, for the first time, I'm doing my blog via voice control on my phone. I've never had luck logging in to blogger from my phone before, probably because I have too many Google accounts and linking them is brain work that I'm usually not prepared to do. this last week has been good. I was very happy to go see OS Mutantes on Sunday night. it always charges my spiritual batteries to see an incredible band live. I always knew the name of the band but now I know that Sergio Diaz is the main member, unchanged since 1966. at first became aware of Os mutantes after reading a book called Tropical Truth by the Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso some years ago when I still lived in Eugene. Tropical truth was Caetano's personal story but it also told the history of mpb, music popular of brazil, and the tropicalista movement that occurred after a dictatorship was installed in Brazil in the mid late 60s. if you're interested, there is probably a YouTube video with a good history of all the musicians and bands involved. my favorites of course were Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil and Os Mutantes. regarding the concert I saw the other night, Sergio Diaz is an incredible guitar player, his electric psychedelic shredding is right up there with artists like Carlos Santana or any of that psychedelic s*** from the '60s. he was old and fat and sat in a chair but his smile and manner we're very engaging. he spoke with the audience many times. although not all the songs or other style I prefer, the ones I recognized were incredible and the band was supple and beautiful with talented players in all positions. that's all I'm going to say in this long-winded blog today. until next time, ed. Below: Sergio Diaz and singer Esmeria Bulgari and Os Mutantes perform at the Alladdin Theater, POrtland, Oregon 13 Nov 2022

No comments: