Sunday, October 23, 2022

Upset Tummy Sunday 10/23/2022

The weekend came and went. I chose to drive up to Everett to go see my brother in the hospital. He is doing "well" in the sense that he's alive, no longer on life-support and receiving decent care. It was hard to see him with a big scar and staples in the back of his head from the indcident he had. He was conscious but not exactly himself - was able to form some words but I wasn't sure he recognized me. He had the look of a shell-shocked WWI soldier - pupils big, far away look in his eyes, kind of a shocked look. It was hard to see my strong brother looking that way. In all likelihood he will recover after some care and therapy but he may be in the hosiptal for weeks or months. I have a feeling he'll bounce back but only time will tell. Hug your peoples now and every day, you never know when life might get turned upside down. I was able to stay over at Brian's house, my old bassist from Garden Weasel days. It was great to drink some Coors cans and talk about things past and present. One of my favorite friends from old times, Brian and I shared so many adventures back in Humboldt county, many hours or years of playing music together and many crazy nights, cruising around the derelict neighborhoods of Eureka in his old Toyota Celica, with one speaker, blasting Nomeansno and Slayer while going on a beer run. Eureka was the dodgiest place I've ever lived but he was one true friend who made my time there enjoyable. Here's a vid of his previous band WD40, featuring dual singers Erio and Justin and guitarist Jim Shank. Erio and Jim were both skater friends of mine. We met at the cement ditch near HSU campus back in 88 or 89 and I was stoked when I saw WD40. I was there during the recording of their demo in a sound studio on campus in 1990 and then later that year I joined the band when Jim bailed. Erio left shortly after Jim and then the name Garden Weasel was chosen sometime early in 1991 after we'd already played a couple parties as WD40. I remember seeing this video back in the day - I always wish we had left a video camera running during one of our practices like this. Housing with this kind of decor was our normal environment back in Arcata at the time - cheap rent where you could hang your shit on the wall and have band practice and party with your friends. Those were the days. Brian of course is the Hesher with the long hair.

No comments: