Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Head of Chuck Bukowski and other news

Another epidemic, another week in the life. If there is anything the 2020 covid-19 pandemic and "shelter in place" order has taught me, it's that I'm grateful that I have a family that can stand spending every freaking day together for weeks at a time. Tina has been furloughed from her job but has been very busy around the house, helping with lesson plans for he kid's homeschooling as well as cooking, doing laundry and watching Outlander on Netflix. Louis and Henry are both doing schoolwork, cleaning their rooms and doing chores, fighting and watching a lot of tv - as much as they can get away with. Sometimes, the kids get up at 5:59 am to watch Parks and Rec or some whack anime crap in the early hours before mom and dad get up and ruin the whole scene by watching Rick Steves or Antiques Roadshow. We've been cooking a ton of food and mostly it's been really delicious. Tonight we had tacos. I feel weird that the entire economy is failing and many working people are broke with no income - what the fuck! The whole reason we have a government is to have people deciding allocation of resources and enacting laws to keep things fair - we need fair unemployment for everybody, stat. The money all trickles back up to Amazon anyway - we need to keep Jeff Bezos rich and powerful so he can save society with his vast resources. I'm sure it's on his to-do list.
I like that my friends at Mustard Relics and Dan Jones and Mr. Random have all been blogging and creating on the multi-platform internet tool matrix. I've been Marco Polo'ing with Dan as a way to stay in touch. It's a new little platform to me but it's kind of fun to leave short video chats that the recipient can watch at their leisure. Technology is just a tool, it's all mystic strands in the matrix, man.

The Head of Chuck Bukowski is a song I first started working on back in 1994. I had heard on the news that Charles Bukowski was dead, and they actually ran some interview footage of Chuck in his later years. He was strangely sober, cordial and nice in the interview they ran. He always looked a lot like my dad. Like a lot of pretentious white kids who almost went to college, I've always had a fascination with Bukowski and his gritty underworld of cretins and sad-sack misfit characters. The first two verses I wrote back in 1994 and then shelved the whole song until now. I always liked the snakey riff, it's something that runs through my head all the time while I'm bopping around life.

 Thanks for sheltering in place, and thanks for cooking at home and eating vegetables. Stay well!
-Ed in captivity

No comments: