Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Escape From Portland 2017

So now something's happened. After being a resident of Oregon for the past 25 years, I am now a Washingtonian. Ed Cole & Family have picked up and moved to the lesser-known and overlooked neighbor of Portland, Vancouver. Tina thought it would be good for the kids, as the schools are purported to be gooder than some other places and the 'hoods safe and full of cheap entertainment. So far I feel like the strip malls have a newer sheen of paint and the locals offer a sense of normalcy and neighborhoodliness that was missing from our last Portland locale. I feel edgy and anxious, not yet having a new routine and being in a new place where I really don't know the rules yet. I like that there is a pool and a guitar store within walking distance. Vancouver feels like the antidote to overly-cool PDX, where everything is overly-unique and costs too much. Here in my new place, things are homogeneous but not without charm and we can do all of our main business on foot... I'll have to let you know over time what I think of my new town. I hope Vancouver slithers up and bites me on the ass with a dose of 'Couv love, then I'll know that they can accept my kind of normalcy... the weird kind.


I've had a few people from my long-distance past come back into my life lately. Meeting and talking with people that you knew 35 years ago feels like a time warp. People who were in your life during a crucial stage of development are now back as a reminder of the years that you yourself forgot. I forgot, am still forgetting and now remembering is tough, like trying to extract bad data from an archaic source file. I will continue meeting and re-meeting my friends. We've only a short time left on this plane of existence.
I love that I have my albums and drums set up.

I've been listening to all of my records including this one:

ok later!

  

No comments: